We recently caught up with DJ David Marzo Font (David Undersounds) from Barcelona, to talk about his musical outlook.
01. How and when did you get into music and what were you listening to then?
I’ve been into music since I was a kid. When I was about 15 years old I was obsessed with finding my own music style. That’s when I started to listen to punk music and created a punk cover band with my friends.
02. Where was your first DJ slot?
I was 19 or 20 years old in my first DJ slot. Me and one of my best friends decided we were bored with dancing to someone else music. We wanted to be the ones beside the decks. So we created a DJ collective (Real Undersounds, a name we still use) and asked for a slot to the owner of a Barcelona’s downtown rock’n’roll bar called Red Rocket. We started DJing there every Tuesday night.
03. What was your most memorable DJ spot?
Many nights to remember. I would say those infinite morning spins at CAN Yeyé (Los Retrovisores headquarters).
04. What so far, has been your worst DJ experience?
Without any doubt, my worst DJ experience was 5 years ago. I was stolen my entire record box after a night club party. It was taken from my friend’s car boot with most of my favourite records. It was a hard blow for me. I even considered to stop collecting records. But luckily I didn’t, so I can be this year at LBB12.
05. Your favourite scene DJ’s and why?
It’s really hard to choose but I’d say Sebas Aviles, Xavi Castellar, Lolo Pelouro, Miguel Ygarza, Juan Duque, Juan Moral… I guess it’s because I have had lots of fun with them and learned lots of fantastic songs every time I listen to their sets.
06. What has shaped your DJ sound and why?
I really love to DJ Freakbeat. That point was Beat music starts experimenting with Psychedelia and Garage. So I like those records that keep having a groovy rhythmic base combined with some trippy sounds and psych effects.
0 7. What was your best ever find/discovery?
Peter Nelson & the Castaways – Down in the mine (HMV)
08. Who was your biggest influence musically and your favourite artist(s)?
Almost all Decca label artists from 1964 to 1969.
09. Do you collect specific labels/artists/genres?
Mainly 60s Freakbeat, Popsike, Garage & Psychedelia.
10. Where can folks currently catch your DJ set?
At any of the Barcelona Psych Nights Club or Pillbox Sixties Club parties we organize. But you should definitely come to any of the festivals we organize: Gambeat Weekend or Barcelona Psych Fest.
11. What is the record you would most like to own?
I wouldn’t mind having a Caleb or Wimple Winch copy… or two!
12. Please give us a top 10 all-time favorites and a current top 5 spins?
Current Top 5 Tracks:
1. The Pentard – Don’t Throw It All Away (Parlaphone)
2. The Scenery – Thread Of Time (Impact)
3. Jocelyne Joyca – Time (CBS)
4. Sherwood – Ride, Baby Ride (Smash)
5. Chicago Line – Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop (Philips)
Top 10 Tracks of All Time:
1. The Beatles- The Night Before
2. The Byrds- Here Without You
3. Status Quo- Pictures Of Matchstick Men
4. The Left Banke – She May Call You Up Tonight
5. Wimple Winch- Save My Soul
6. The Atlantics- Come On
7. The Open Mind- Magic Potion
8. Kula Shaker- Hush
9. The Telescopes- Celeste
10. The Brian Jonestown Massacre – If Love Is The Drug
Next Club Spots 2017:
14-16 April – Le Beat Bespoke 12 – London
Fri 31st March + Sat 1 April – Barcelona Psych Fest
28th June to 3rd July @ Festival Beat Salsomaggiore (IT)
Fri 15th & Sat 16th September @ Gambeat Weekend Barcelona (ES)
Resident DJ and Organiser of Gambeat Weekend, Barcelona Psych Fest, Barcelona Psych Nights and Pillbox 60s Club.
Powered by Max Banner Ads